Saturday, June 18, 2011

School Picture Day... in UGANDA!

Hey friends... It's Sarah again!

I travelled out to Orange Giraffe, the school we are sponsoring, on Monday and Tuesday. I had some orders from Brin to sit in on each of the classes to get a feel for how the teachers are teaching. My other assignment was to get a picture and biography from every child. I thought this would take forever, but thanks to the help of Michael's lovely wife, Frieda, and one of the teachers at the school, we got information on nearly 200 kids in 2 days. While they were getting the info, my job was to get a picture of each kid. It made me laugh when I realized that this was school picture day. I thought back to my elementary school years, and how everyone dressed up on picture day and what a big deal it was. This school picture day was a little different. For most of the kids this was the first picture they've ever had taken, not too mention one of the first times they've ever seen a muzungu or white person. Most of the kids only have one outfit, so there wasn't really a worry about what to wear. In Uganda most people don't smile for pictures, so we had to do some coaching to get the kids to smile for us, but the pictures turned out precious! Well I'll just let you see for yourself....





1 comment:

  1. This is a good initiative and we(as Ugandans) are so Happy you are undertaking this. Am Herbert Musoke from School Guide Uganda a company which has specialized to make an online directory for all schools in Uganda. We can be found at http://www.schoolguideuganda.com for more details. Please help shape the future of Uganda's Education too by registering all the Schools you are Connected to.
    Thankyou.

    Herbert Musoke,
    General Manager
    School Guide Uganda Ltd.
    sokie@schoolguideuganda.com
    http://www.schoolguideuganda.com
    +256791270723

    ReplyDelete